Chopper Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 03:54:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 596
  • Latest: fxdwg05
Stats
  • Total Posts: 16926
  • Total Topics: 1899
  • Online Today: 9
  • Online Ever: 94
  • (September 03, 2009, 10:21:00 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 5
Total: 6
5 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: HELP ON ULTIMA DIGITAL ELECTRONIC IGNITION SYSTEM MODEL #53-644. Installed on EV  (Read 3870 times)

Beastie Rider

Hello all,

I have a 1995 EVO engine on a Chopper custom layout. It has the Ultima Digital Ignition System, Model #53-644. I recently replaced the Stator and Rotor, 32 Amp unit. Sealed it all up, hooked it to the Regulator, tucked up and secured the Circuit Breakers underneath the bike. One wire was "forgotten", as it wasn't seen by me while under the bike. It went to a 20 Amp C.B., and then went up to the Ignition Key, through the frame, changing it's color from a yellow, to a ? Only wires dropping down over the engine are from that bundle. Only other wires going out from that Ignition location are to the Head Lamp. I found out that the circuit breaker, "missing wire" is part of the Tail Lamps, Horn and Front Head Lamp, C.B., not the C.B. to and for operation of the #53-644.

What happened is that with a new battery installed, after many revolutions, motor fired and ran, as been sitting months over the Winter inactive, due to a bad Stator and Rotor, (only got 1.6 Amps outa unit, while revving motor back then, running off the battery)

Motor warmed up and then died after 15 minutes of running, like starved of fuel. Just died. Plenty of gas, battery good,,? Checked for spark from Spark Pugs, "NOTHING". Found wire next morning, put it on C.B., turned motor over, "NOTHING", No spark to plugs.

Pulled Ultima Digital Ignition System, #53-644 plate off and exposed unit and it's l.e.d. little lamps, , red for "Status", and green for "Running". Turned motor over on Start Button. "Nothing".

What is wrong with #53-644? Did I completely destroy this unit? Short circuit it, fry it? Can this/does it have a fail safe, fuse inside?

Went to Ultima's web site, and there's no real information there to trouble shoot this model unit. Have no manual, schematics, plans, installation, tech tips, nothing.

Anybody out there have a Ultima #53-644 Manual, or flat out, "know" what's going on?

Need help here, 350.00 into this EVO motor electrical repair, new Stator, Rotor and Battery, and no toy to ride. Do I have to replace the entire Ultima, #53-644 unit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Signed, Beastie Rider.   ???

Bibs

Didja try contactin ultima?....they have a download section on their site for all their wire harnesses and set-ups

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/electrical.html
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:51:20 PM by Bibs »
All good things to those who wait.

Dave

• The Big Cheese
  • Administrator

dont take me wrong... { you old timers know whats coming  ;D } take that ultima ignition , open the nearest trash can & chunk that PIECE OF SHIT.. go get you an old style centrifical advance & a DYNA-S ignition/coil set .. install them & never look back.. except to kick yourself in the ass fer buying that cheapshit ultima ign. to begin with..  ;D ;D that said ... if you have a spare coil try that before anything.. if that dont cure it .. which i think it will .. turn the key on & use a test lite to check power to the coil on the post coming from the ignition switch.. if theres no power, you have an ign. switch or broken power wire issue..maybe even a bad CB ..  if there is power , then check the other coil post , while turning the motor over.. the lite should flash when the motor passes its timing mark.. if it dont refer to my original trash can suggestion with the coil & ign. module..
Better  To  Be  Judged  By  12  Than  To  Be  Carried  By  6

Bibs

dont take me wrong... { you old timers know whats coming  ;D } take that ultima ignition , open the nearest trash can & chunk that PIECE OF SHIT.. go get you an old style centrifical advance & a DYNA-S ignition/coil set .. install them & never look back.. except to kick yourself in the ass fer buying that cheapshit ultima ign. to begin with..  ;D ;D that said ... if you have a spare coil try that before anything.. if that dont cure it .. which i think it will .. turn the key on & use a test lite to check power to the coil on the post coming from the ignition switch.. if theres no power, you have an ign. switch or broken power wire issue..maybe even a bad CB ..  if there is power , then check the other coil post , while turning the motor over.. the lite should flash when the motor passes its timing mark.. if it dont refer to my original trash can suggestion with the coil & ign. module..

....what Dave said.
All good things to those who wait.

Dave

• The Big Cheese
  • Administrator

i dont know if you run a single fire or dual fire ign. set up.. but the dyna-s comes in either.. jireh cycle has THE BEST pricing.. if you need the whole package coil , ign. module, & centrifical advance unit { required on a dyna-s } its under 200.00 delivered.. i have tried the ultima ignitions.. none worked from jump street correctly.. i cant run a set up that i'm not confident in.. dyna-s was the first , they have been made forever & they are the standard that every other manufacturer competes to match .. some got close.. i think joe at vulcan has made an ignition that is comparable in quality.. I WOULD TRUST JOE'S IGN. MODULE .. digital i'm not impressed with at all .. more hype than anything.. lots of guys swear by them & thats o.k. .. i've used the dyna for over 30 yrs. trouble free.. i had one module that i used on several different bikes it was over 15 yrs. old.. the only ones i've ever replaced are the ones where the wires were routed poorly , chafed the insulation & shorted frying the ign. module..
Better  To  Be  Judged  By  12  Than  To  Be  Carried  By  6

Recent

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 29 queries.