Chopper Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 06:16:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 16846
  • Total Topics: 1873
  • Online Today: 23
  • Online Ever: 94
  • (September 03, 2009, 10:21:00 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 6
Total: 10
6 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Refrigerant R22 replacement.  (Read 3498 times)

Fat Mike

• Global Moderator
  • If it has two wheels trike it
Refrigerant R22 replacement.
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:30:54 PM »

Calling all AC@R guys....
Will ES-22b mix with R-22 or ya got to suck the system dry and refill with ES-22b.

Reason I'm asking is I can get ES-22b without a license.:)

Thanks,
NSFM

wolf

• Old Biker
  • Administrator
    • bikershangout.net
Re: Refrigerant R22 replacement.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:12:33 AM »

Maybe this will help you decide Brother. I think you are talking about ES-22a as a replacement for R-22 why are you needing refrigerant you have a leak? It may be a lot cheaper to get some one to come fill it. I wish you lived around here I would do it for you are give you the R-22.
http://autorefrigerants.com/22a.htm

Manufacturers are very specific about what they want running through their compressors and some gasses will not carry the oil around as it should be. I view that refrigerant like I view the magnets you put in your shoes, the marketing is all that sells it. It can't make a reputation for itself and show up in supply houses. I'm surprised they didn't have the "As seen on TV" logo in the specs somewhere. Well I said more than I intended to but wanted to give a firm NAY. What you are getting is  propane. Also a leak could cause gases to get in you ducks and kill you in your sleep SCARED YET???????? "Not only that Brother CW is looking for another trike." 

According to the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) ES-22a is a Liquified Petroleum Gas and can be ignited by static electricity. Anyone that wants a bomb in their house can use it.

Company: Enviro-Safe Refrigerants, Inc. 400 Margaret Street
Pekin IL 61554 309-346-1110
SECTION 1 – IDENTIFICATION
Product Name: Proper Shipping Name: UN Number: Dangerous Goods Hazard Class/Division:
Enviro-SafeTM 22a Refrigerant Petroleum Gases Liquefied UN1075 2.1
Appearance/Odor: Odor Threshold: Coeff. Water/Oil Dist.: Freezing Point: Vapor Density: (est.) Vapor Pressure: (PSIG)
Clear, Colorless; odor added None available <1 -305°F
Gas 0.5066 Rapid -44.5°F N/A
9.60%
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
Enviro-SafeTM 22a Refrigerant 30 & 50 lb Cylinder
CHEMTREC – TOLL FREE 24 HOUR EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBER 1-800-424-9300
SECTION 2 – PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION AND/OR PROPERTIES
Physical State: Specific Gravity: Evaporation Rate: Boiling Point: 1.52 pH:
70 @ 110°F
SECTION 3 – FIRE OR EXPLOSION HAZARD
Auto Ignition Temperature: 873°F Flashpoint: Not Available   Lower Flammable Limit (LEL): 2.15%   Upper Flammable Limit (UEL):
Extinguish Media: If possible, stop flow of gas. Use water to cool fire-exposed tanks, surroundings and to protect personnel working on shut off. Water spray, dry powder, or carbon dioxide can be directed at flame area to reduce fire intensity. Do not extinguish flames unless leak can be stopped.
Hazardous Combustion Products: Normal combustion forms carbon monoxide.
Sensitivity to Static Discharge: Vapor may ignite if exposed to static discharge.
Explosion Data: Sensitivity to impact.   Mixture is not sensitive.
Fire and Explosion Hazard: Flammable vapor may form if allowed to mix with air. Accumulation of gas is an ignition hazard. Vapors are heavier than air and may travel to an ignition source.
SECTION 4 – INGREDIENTS Hazardous Ingredients   %   Cas Number   LD50   P.E.L.   ACGIH TLV UNITS
Alkanes   100 (Enviro-SafeTM Refrigerant contains a trade secret odor of 1% -5% unless otherwise noted.)
SECTION 5 – REATIVITY DATA
800 ppm
800 ppm
Chemical Stability: This material is chemically stable. Conditions To Avoid: .Avoid sparks, open flame or any source of ignition. Incompatible Materials: Avoid contact with strong oxidizing agents such as chlorine, permanganates and dichromate’s. Decomposition Products: This product may produce carbon monoxide with a deficiency of oxygen. Hazardous Polymerization: will not occur. Polymerization To Avoid: Keep separate from oxidizing agents.
n.ap.
SECTION 6 – HEALTH HAZARD As with most flammable products, hydrocarbon refrigerants demand basic common sense during use.
Inhaled/Asphyxiant: This product may cause irritation of the respiratory tract. May also cause headaches or dizziness at moderate exposures. Heavy exposure may cause anemia and irregular heart rhythm, respiratory arrest and death at elevated exposures.
Ingestion: Not likely to occur. Eye Contact: Irritating if the liquid gets into eyes, with a possible hazard from freezing due to rapid evaporation. Extremely high vapor
concentration may also be irritating.
Skin Contact: Exposure to rapidly expanding gas or vaporizing liquid may cause frost damage to tissue. Prolonged contact may irritate the skin and cause dermatitis.
Chronic: Prolonged exposure to this product may cause central nervous system disorder and or damage. SECTION 7 - FIRST AID
Inhaled: In emergency situations, use proper respiratory protection and immediately remove the victim to fresh air. Administer artificial respiration if breathing has stopped. Seek medical attention promptly in serious cases of over exposure.
Eyes: Flush eyes with tepid water for 15 minutes. Seek immediate medical advice immediately. Skin: Avoid skin contact with the liquid. Remove contaminated clothing and wash the exposed area with soap and water.
Frostbite: Obtain medical assistance. If medical assistance is not available immediately, place person in a warm area as soon as possible and allow the injured area to warm gradually. DO NOT WARM EXPOSED AREA TO EXCESS HEAT OR COLD.
Ingestion: Unlikely to be a problem, this should not occur. SECTION 8 - SAFE HANDLING
Spills: Shut off ignition source and source of leak. Evacuate all non-essential personnel from the area. If possible, ventilate the area. Use water spray to disperse vapors. Isolate and ventilate area until gas has dispersed. If the incident is significant seek assistance from local fire, police and other relevant authorities.
Waste Disposal Method: Dispose of product in accordance with local, county state, and federal regulations. Storage, Handling, Shipping: Store in a cool, well-ventilated area. Store away from strong oxidizing agents, chlorine dioxide, excessive heat and/or
static discharge. Cylinders must be stored and transported in an upright position. Other Precautions: Empty containers may contain flammable or combustible vapors. Do not reuse without adequate precautions.
SECTION 9 -PERSONAL PROTECTION Engineering Controls: Use only in a well ventilated area! Ensure there is good ventilation. If additional ventilation is needed use auxiliary
ventilation equipment ensuring that all systems are well grounded and spark proof. Eyes: Wear safety chemical safety glasses with side shields and/or goggles. Gloves: Use thermal, chemical resistant gloves when handling this product. Other protective clothing: Long sleeves, pants and close-toed shoes. Respiratory Protection: If ventilation of the area is not adequate use a NIOSH approved respirator to prevent overexposure by inhalation.
SECTION 10 -PREPARATION
Enviro-Safe Refrigerants, Inc., 400 Margaret Street, Pekin, IL 61554   Telephone: 309-346-1110   December 1, 2004 Revised November 3, 2010
All information provided for this MSDS sheet by Enviro-Safe Refrigerants, Inc. is offered in good faith and is believed to be accurate to the best knowledge of the preparation analyst. The information contained in this document is based on documentation provided by the supplier and other documentation/information available at the date of preparation. Enviro-Safe does not guarantee the accuracy of this document and this information is offered without warranty, guarantee or liability on the part of the preparation analyst in good faith.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:14:39 AM by wolf »
IT WASN'T BECAUSE I DIDN'T KNOW ENOUGH I JUST KNEW TOO MUCH, DOES THAT MAKE ME CRAZY?

Fat Mike

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:29:26 AM »

You know me....like to do it myself type of guy.
I have two older systems with r-22...
No leaks..just want something in the shed in case I do need a "lil" something.
The local houses have r-22b (license required)

I changed the compressor out in my house (gas pack) about three years ago.. I got it through a friend on his account.
Since then, he's retired..
The one in the rental house is getting a lil' old (split system, AC\heater coils in the air handler) and has had 1 small charge put in it in 9 years.  Again through the same friend.
From what I understand once a r-22 compressor goes bad ya can't get a replacement compressor and their's no retrofit for the old style units. 
My house no biggie, gas pack...That I can buy it through a I-net sight and get it delivered to the house. :)

NSFM
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:13:06 AM by Fat Mike »

wolf

• Old Biker
  • Administrator
    • bikershangout.net
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »

They want to phase out R22 like they did R12 you now have 134 for cars R410 for home units. I am sure you could convert to R410 using the same compressor. I think the only thing you would have to change is the Orifice tube in your A coil. And yes Parts for units older than 10 years will be had to find that is their way of making you phase the old units out. They will try to Fuck us anyway you go Brother so go down to city hall and take their unit for a spare in-case something happens to yours. Bottom line though is the oils in the different refrigerants is what has the problem mixing. By the way I still have about 15 pounds of R12 but I don't own anything that use it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:57:51 AM by wolf »
IT WASN'T BECAUSE I DIDN'T KNOW ENOUGH I JUST KNEW TOO MUCH, DOES THAT MAKE ME CRAZY?

Fat Mike

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:09:46 PM »

My two Dodge's use R12....
Both have Freeze 12 in them.
I don't drive either too much any more.
The red one has the camper setting on it and just goes camping.
Toyota has the new stuff as well as the 04 Ford.

That is the reason I don't like calling a AC tec. (around here) they will tell ya a bald face lie in a heartbeat.  I'm not a trusting soul when it comes to someone that thinks that I haven't been around this and done this stuff or hasn't read up on anything.

The guy that replaced the heat exchanger in my "gas pack" told me that the unit was shot and wanted to sell me a new 2 1\2 ton one.  $4,000.00 + installation (on the side now).  They cost $1,800 new delivered, heat and eat thing. 
I had just replaced the compressor the year before and told him the fact that I had done it myself...gave me a funny look, I told him again that I had done it by myself, I couldn't buy the exchanger now that the warehouses in town had tightened up and wouldn't sell me one over the counter and just wanted the heat exchanger replaced.
He put in a new heat exchanger and quit trying to bullshit me.

NSFM

wolf

• Old Biker
  • Administrator
    • bikershangout.net
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 01:16:46 AM »

I do my own work myself as well my step dad taught me he did that for a living. But he is gone died a few years back but left me with the knowledge and tools to do that kind of work. But I am a Service manager for a big Crane Company and fool with the trucks and rigs so I keep up with the new shit. I think the last R12 I used I charged up Dave's Old Ford for him. He called me and told me he had to wear a coat in it after that. Fucking Prick LOL.

Recent

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 30 queries.